Skip to content

Reading Radar

Fresh ideas.
Better ways to work.

Explore Agile, ways of working and practical AI for teams. Find recent articles from six sources, then follow an idea back to its author.

Read our perspective

On our radar

Updated daily

A new feature for my blog, built using my voice

I shipped a new feature for my blog today: the Newsletters page, which offers an index of all of the newsletters I've sent out, both my free weekly Substack and my monthly sponsors-only updates. I built the feature almost entirely using my voice, chatting away to my laptop while I cooked dinner. Codex voice mode I used the ChatGPT desktop app for this, in the Codex tab, using the voice conversation mode, running against a local development environment. Here's what that looks like: I started the session against my local simonwillisonblog checkout by typing: Start dev server and open in browser

Read the original

Claude Haiku 5.5

As previously promised, here's Anthropic's new fast, low cost model: Introducing Claude Haiku 5.5. The previous Haiku, 4.5, was very much showing its age. It came out almost a year ago, and was priced at $1/million input and $5/million output - relatively expensive even back then, and a full 10x the price of OpenAI's GPT-6 Luna, released last month. The new Haiku exactly matches the price of GPT-6 Luna - $0.10/$0.50 - up to 100,000 tokens. Beyond 100,000 tokens the price increases 5x to $0.50/$2.50. Luna itself has a price increase at 272,000 tokens but only to $0.20/$0.75. Haiku 5.5 also uses

Read the original

We're going to need default hard budget caps on pretty much everything

Here's a product feature which the world is going to need a whole lot more of over the coming months and years: default hard budget caps. I'm talking about the feature of pay-by-usage services and APIs that lets you say "after $X/month, cut this thing off and return errors". These need to be hard limits. Soft caps, "after $X/month, send me a warning email", will not cut it. Coding agents, and personal agents (coding agents wrapped in a less threatening UI), greatly reduce the friction of spinning up code that can do useful things. Sometimes those things cost money - calls to paid APIs, or host

Read the original

OpenAI DevDay 2026 live blog

I'm at OpenAI DevDay today, in Fort Mason, San Francisco. Same as last year I'll be live blogging the keynote and some other notes during the day. OpenAI gave me a free ticket and a seat in the "creator" area for the keynote.You are only seeing the long-form articles from my blog. Subscribe to /atom/everything/ to get all of my posts, or take a look at my other subscription options.

Read the original

2026 in LLMs (so far)

On Friday I gave the closing keynote at the WeAreDevelopers World Congress North America in San Jose. I tied together the key trends from the past year into a chronological exploration of everything that happened in 2026. The video is on YouTube; here are my annotated slides and notes to accompany the talk. And as an annotated presentation: # I'm going to give a lightning tour of everything that has happened so far in 2026. The year isn't over yet! # For me, 2026 started a couple of months earlier in November 2025. # November saw the release of two important models: Claude Opus 4.5 and GPT-5.1

Read the original

Claude Opus 5.5, GPT-6 Sol, GPT-6 Luna, and a new price war

Yesterday was Grok 4.7 (pelicans) and MiMo v2.6 Flash/Pro (more pelicans). Today Anthropic released Claude Opus 5.5, and around an hour later OpenAI released GPT-6 Sol and GPT-6 Luna. It's going to take a while to get a good read on all of these new models, but here are my impressions so far. GPT-6 Sol and Luna are half the price of their GPT-5.6 equivalents GPT-5.6 Luna was already my favorite model for building applications against, because it combined excellent performance with being really cheap. Somehow GPT-6 Luna is half the price of that again - and GPT-6 Sol had a similar reduction com

Read the original

Jev introduces a new shape of LLM - System One, aka Decision Models

Last week TypeSafe AI unveiled Jev, their first example of a new category of model that they are calling "System One models" (I'm with Maggie Appleton, I think "decision models" is a better name for these). Jev is an interesting variant on the usual LLM format: it still accepts text inputs, but instead of text output it returns floating point numbers corresponding to categories, yes/no questions, ratings, and associated confidence scores. TypeSafe describe Jev like this: Think of Jev as a frontier-intelligence function call: unstructured state in, typed probabilistic decisions out. It's also v

Read the original

Generating running routes with GPT-6 Astra and ChatGPT Work

Here's a neat thing I had ChatGPT Work with GPT-6 Astra (Max) do this morning: I live at . Figure out 5K and 10K running routes from me that loop from my house. Use OSM data. It worked for 27 minutes and produced exactly what I'd asked for, as both an embedded visualization and downloadable GPX file and GeoJSON files. Here's that 5K route: When I asked it how it had created the route, it replied: I used Nominatim to locate the address and Overpass to download local OpenStreetMap roads and trails, then calculated the loops locally. Frustratingly, the actual code it ran and exact det

Read the original

OpenAI agents attacked RubyGems back in May

OpenAI agents carried out an undisclosed attack on RubyGems is a new bombshell report from Spencer Kitts, Thomas Larsen, and Sydney Von Arx - three of the four authors of the report on the agent attack on disused wikis (previously) last week. This time they're noting that it looks very likely that an OpenAI agent swarm was behind an attack against the RubyGems package repository first reported on May 12th by Maciej Mensfeld of the RubyGems security team: We're dealing with a major malicious attack on @rubygems right now. Signups are paused for the time being. Hundreds of packages involved - mo

Read the original

Some thoughts on the Navier–Stokes Millennium Prize Problem

On the Navier–Stokes Millennium Prize Problem introduces an impressive result from OpenAI, who used an unreleased model to produce a resolution to the Navier–Stokes existence and smoothness problem, one of the seven Millennium Prize Problems that have been subject to a $1,000,000 prize since May 24th, 2000. The discovery is somewhat overshadowed by accusations of skulduggery from Tristan Buckmaster, an NYU mathematics professor who was collaborating on related problems with Levent Alpöge, an accomplished mathematician who currently works for Anthropic. Tristan's complaint accompanied a hastily

Read the original

Follow the ideas

Meet the sources.

These articles belong to their original authors. Summaries help you choose what to read; visit the original for the full context.

COME TAKE A LOOK

A little less busy.
A lot more together.

Curious? Join the waitlist and see how we welcome your team.

Tell us a little about your team. We’ll explain the next steps and invite you when we have capacity for your workspace.

Join waitlist Start with your email. No payment needed to join.